Thursday, January 8, 2015

Book Readings

I have three pages here on my blog. One is for creative endeavors, photos to share and funny stories of my life. One page is accomplishments I have achieved in the scrapbook realm. (Those of  you who have ever worked on a Design Team for a website you will understand.) The third page is devoted to books I have read for my book club.


I have been a member of the Steele Creek Woman's Book club since 2009. We have members come and go but a core group of us have stayed together all these years. I really enjoy the time I get to spend with these smart, funny, opinionated women. We laugh together, get misty eyed for one another and cheer each other on when someone needs a hug. It has been an experience I have had the privilege to enjoy and be a part of.

Each year our members nominate and vote on books we would like to read and discuss. We throw care to the wind when it comes to the nominations. Any topic is welcome. But eventually we have to vote. And then it gets serious. I honestly look up all the books, make a check off sheet and number the books from 1 to whatever to pick the top twelve i would like to attempt to read. I say attempt because it is not a REQUIREMENT that we have to read the book to participate. But I try.

Anyway, back to page three on the blog. I have noticed that my participation in our book choices has depleted each year. Whether it be because a particular book does not strike my fancy, I just can't get through it, or the dust jacket (do they still have those?) doesn't have an interesting enough graphic, I just can't put my finger on it. So this year I nominated MANY books in hopes that a few would be interesting for me.

I am happy to report a number of books look interesting this year. I am hoping to get through the majority of the list. I can only improve my standing over last year. I read three books from the 2014 list, one left over from the list in 2013 that I never finished but wanted to get through before the movie came out in 2014 and one extra book that looked interesting in the public library. THAT'S IT!!! I think that is the least amount of books I have read in about 20 years.

Here is the Steele Creek Woman's Club book list for 2015:
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
The Pearl that Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
The Kindness of Strangers: Penniless Across America Written by: Mike McIntyre
A Cold Day for Murder: A Kate Shugak Mystery Written by: Dana Stabenow
The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel by Susan Gregg
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
Moloka'I by Alan Brennert
The Cherry Cola Book Club by Ashton Lee
Landline by Rainbow Rowell
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

At least 9 look good, one is iffy and the other two, well, we will see. Gotta get to reading. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment