Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wine and "French Kiss"


My DH and I were married almost a year ago (April 18, 2009). I have been meaning to start scrapping our wedding/honeymoon shots, but time always seems to have slipped away from me before I know it. We were forced to wait until July '09 to sneak away for an extended weekend to finally have a honeymoon of sorts. We traveled to upstate North Carolina to the Yadkin Valley to have a mini wine tour and get away from it all. We stayed in a lovely B&B,  the Pilot Knob Inn, at the foot of Pilot Mountain in a rustic cabin made just for two. During the weekend we traveled to Mount Airy, the hometown of Andy Griffith, where I took a lovely photo of my honey behind bars in Otis's cell based on the show. We also went to the pinnacle of Pilot Mountain and took some stunning photographs that we will cherish forever.

The highlight of our trip was our visit to some of the vineyards in the area. Our experience at Shelton Vineyards was wonderful. The grounds are quite impressive with willow trees and paths that lead you around lakes and throughout the property. There is a wine tour of the facility as well as a tasting bar where for a small fee, you can taste 5 wines "home-brewed". We purchased two bottles to take with us from the gift shop, one for the cabin later that evening and one to take home for our collection. The photos in the layout above are just a couple of shots from the grounds of the vineyard. There were many more vineyards in the area that we simply did not have the time to see. We are hoping to return to enjoy more in the future.

I had never been to a vineyard before our trip. I had only seen them in movies. As I worked on our photos tonight I was reminded of the romantic comedy French Kiss. In the movie, released in 1995, Kate (Meg Ryan) and Luc (Kevin Kline) are seated together on an airplane to France. Kate is on her way to rescue her fiance'. He has telephoned her to tell her he has fallen in love with another woman while he was in Paris at a medical convention. (Do doctor's often have medical conventions in Paris?) Luc, on the other hand, is on his way home after "acquiring" a diamond necklace and a vine that he is aspiring to use to begin his own vineyard. Mayhem occurs after Luc hides his possessions in Kate's bag to avoid customs and all of Kate's belongings are stolen. And while Luc teaches Kate to act more French to woo her fiance' back, Kate helps Luc to find the necklace and fulfill his dreams. Their lives are turned completely around by the time the movie is over. I just love this type of movie.

My favorite line in the movie? Kate and Luc are sitting in an outdoor cafe. Kate begins to mimic Luc.
"You'll become one of those hunchbacked, lonely old men, sitting in the corner of a crowded cafe, mumbling to yourself, "My ass is twitching. You people make my ass twitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment