Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Help

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book is about segregation in Mississippi in the 1960's. Eugenia Phelan gets together with a group of black women who work as hired help to the prominent white women in the town of Jackson, Mississippi. They decide that they can affect the segregation movement by writing a tell all book detailing how the help's lives are affected by their jobs and how their jobs affect the ladies they wait on. There are many tense moments in the book as well as love and tenderness in a moment of time in our history that was violent and dangerous for black people living in the south.

I feel the book was well written as it was playing in my head like a movie reel with each turn of the page. It made me feel sorry for the women who had to endure these struggles and ashamed for how they had to endure it all in the first place. This was a wonderful book and I will suggest it to all my friends as a wonderful read.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment